Thursday, May 19, 2005

Explaination...Book Tag....

So someone asked me why these books - from the book tag post - mean so much to me...

1. The Valkyries by Paulo Coelho

Two fold answer...actually all of them will probably have more then one reason...

First part - DM, a good friend of mine, recommended the book to me. She actually recommended the author. I requested that she give me a suggestion on which Paulo Coelho book to read first. At that time she suggested, I read The Valkyries. And for that time in my life it was the perfect Coelho book. That was the summer of 2001.

Second part - The books is about love, relationships and spiritual-self journey. I think most people get different things out of books. But over-all Coelho's books are about spiritual-self journeys. His books are a mixture of well...religion...spirituality and mysticism. Coelho is a Christian, but his form of Christianity is very different then the one I was brought up on. But I am not sure I label myself as a Christian these days. I have some Christian beliefs, but mixed with mysticism, Buddhism and just self-spirituality.

Okay back on topic...The Valkyries...

It is a "true" story...a story of a journey in Coelho's life...it is a story of the acceptance of love. It is a journey of love intermixed with trust, faith, and forgiveness. It is the story of becoming our spiritual self while battling the darkness inside. It is a story of relationships and accepting love in relationships.

As I said this book has some Christian based ideas in it, but those parts for me did not over power the book. The ideas that came through were much like ideas that came through in The Celestine Prophecy to me - it spoke of universal ideas and spirituality.

The main thing I got out of the book....we are responsible for everything that happens...in our lives and in our world. And with love and openness to what comes our way, we can change things. If we start to look at the world with love then that force...will give back to the world and ourselves in abundance. Hokey? Maybe but I believe it.

One last thing....a quote...being the quote whore I am...it is a favorite quote of mine and is on the main page of our website..."He knew one of the women well, and had shared his universe with her. They had seen the same mountains, and the same trees, although each of them had seem them differently. She knew his weaknesses, his moments of hatred, of despair. Yet she was there at his side. They shared the same universe."

2. The Celestine Prophecy by James Redfield

I read this book at the end of 1996 or around beginning of 1997. I read about it in a magazine I used to get that I loved called, "Catalist." (The magazine went out of print - sorry to say - because I loved that magazine and still have all my issues - less then 2 years worth published.)

The Celestine Prophecy is probably the book that actually led to my divorce, but I am sure my ex-husband would not say that - his answer would it that it was the internet.

The reason I think it was The Celestine Prophecy....is because it woke me up....to myself. I had been sleepwalking in the world. I woke up after I read this book and realized there was so much more I was suppose to be doing in this world. I realized that so many times have had things happen to try to wake me up and I let them go by. So after this book, I woke up and starting living life and looking at life differently - using many of the tools I learned from The Celestine Prophecy insights.

Bad point of this book it has a horrible...horrible...writing style. (though of course, much better then mine.) It is written in very simple sentences - structure and words. It is written for the masses...so that all people can read this book and "get it." But looking past the horrible writing style....the ideas and concepts outlined in the book are life tools....spiritual tools.

3. The Forgetting Room by Nick Bantock

I put this book on my list of favorites because of what it did for my art. But this book does have some bad memories associated with it also. But I still put it on my list of favorites because of how much it impacted my artistic side. It opened me up in my art more then I can ever explain - so that outweighs the bad memories associated with it.

But I don't think what I got from it...is what most people reading the book would get out of it. The story is a good story and if you liked the Griffin and Sabine Series then you'll most likely enjoy The Forgetting Room too.

4. The Pilgrimage by Paulo Coelho

Again of course Coelho's books were recommended to me by DM. Each time I have went to go get a book of his I ask her what she thinks would be a good one to read next. (which I should do that again as I think it is time for another one).

When I listed this book I was debating between this one and Mindfulness in Plain English.

I liked The Pilgrimage because of again the spiritual journey Coelho takes us (the reader) on. The journey for me was important for me - at this point - in my spiritual journey. Some tasks he does on his journey -- I have done and they helped me.

The journey of the simplicity of life...awareness of life. Which is the reason why I debated between the Mindfulness in Plain English...because to me it teaches similar concepts.

5. Home Comforts: The Art and Science of Keeping House by Cheryl Mendelson

I guess I am not surprised to find this book on many service-oriented submissives top 5 books.

Guardian and nuala gave this book to me...I even have the card they gave me with it in it to this day. I first saw it at their home many years ago and wanted to get it. Because I could tell that it had so much useful information in it for being a servant. And I just never got around to buying it. And then several years ago they gave it to me. So it is special to me because they gave it to me....

And also because it is a useful tool as a servant...

It gives so much information on the art and science of keeping a house....from food storage, to what to stock in a pantry, how to launder certain types of clothing, how to get stains out of clothing, fabric and carpet, how to make bed properly, how to set a table, how to cut down on allergy problems witin your home, how often to turn your mattress, how to care for your books, making a house safe legally - insurance, liability and so on. There is so much information in this book and I use it quite a bit when organizing and setting up Master house to run efficiently and easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...