Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Migraines...and Pain

Through having a conversation about migraines in my comment section awhile back....I decided to write about my migraines.

I get them a lot. I started getting them when I was a teenager. That is when my Grandfather appeared and when my Mom’s too. My Grandfather did not grow out of them but my Mom's did stop her late 20's. So anyway, I got them when I was a teenager... I think it was around 14...it might have been 12 though I am not remembering it clearly when they started as it is just something I feel like I have always had with me.

I have always got them around my period. My hormones bouncing all over during that time causes an imbalance in my system thus a migraine develops. I know when they first appeared I got them rarely when stressed, but mostly when my body was going through something like period, flu, over tired…then they would hit. But just stress causing them did not happen until I was in high school.

Still to this day I get them due to all sorts of reasons – allergies, stress, over-tired, sick, period, smoke, high blood pressure, brightness or flickering lights and so on. Then again they have happened for no apparent reason also. As I said my migraines have no rhyme or reason at times. I don’t go a week without one usually. Then other times I will have them for several days or a week at a time. The migraines mixed with my allergies and there is hardly a day ever that passes that I don’t have some type of pain.

According to this scale, I am never less than 2 or 3. But more usually 3-5. When I talked about having days or a week of migraines my pain is usually a 7 or 8 with moments of 4 to 6. I have had 9 and 10’s too. But it has been a while since I have had a 9 and a much longer time that I had a 10.

I have become so used to it that it just almost seems normal to have pain. When the Lortadine D works, it is amazing. I remember the first time I took it and did not have pain – I was stunned and thought wow this is what it feels like…this is great! But the Lortadine D does not always work for my allergies. And usually my migraines – even if I take something and it takes it down – the pain is never gone completely.

The next question usually is what do the doctors say....

Well over the years I have given up they can help me. I have tried over the years. One told me it in my head (yes I laughed and said you are right it is) and then the others have ran test after test to find nothing. And they have prescribed several medications. But none of them ever seem to do anything but drug me out or make me sick.

My Grandfather who had migraines...died of an aneurysm. And so that gets to me at times when I have migraines - especially when the pain is a 9 or 10. But otherwise I just try to live each day however I can with the pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...