Monday, May 09, 2005

Tipping the Velvet....

I am going to try not to do any spoilers....

I remember seeing commercials for Tipping the Velvet on the BBC almost 2 years ago. I did a search for it on cable so I could DVR it....and found it coming on at similar times Master has something set so I hoped it would be on again. I would search for it every once in a while but then gave up.

Just watching the commercial for Tipping the Velvet, mesmerized me. I knew it was something I really wanted to see, but did not think it would ever be possible. Oddly enough I never thought of doing a search for it online to get more info about it. But that was back when Master had dial up so I tried to do little online.

By the time we got Netflix, the name pretty much escaped me....I knew it had Velvet in it. And I knew it was set Victorian England and about lesbians. Well being a little slow on the features of Netflix - I did not get right away that you could put in a word and search for it. So, I just sifted through all the Gay/Lesbian movies and could not find it. Eventually I figured out you can search by just a word - Velvet. I found it right away that way - added it to to my queue and moved it up to the top!

And oh my! I completely enjoyed it! It is one of those where I was literally fanning myself at points. Delicious! I have both the book and DVD added to my wish list as well as some other Sarah Water's novels. She is the author of the book of the same name.

The DVD is divided into 3 episodes and really I wish it could have gone on and on and on. So the story is basically a coming of age story for a young woman in Victorian England. She falls in love with a woman who is a male impersonator on stage. They end up joining together to do an act. I still have the song from their first stage appearance together in my head. I love the filming of that part - it was a great montage of them.

The filming - visually - was stunning. There is a part where her heart is broken and she is healing and they did such neat film affects.

Tipping the Velvet was incredible - an unforgettable move that made me just want more of it. I mean they ended it well, but I still wanted more! The screenwriter Andrew Davies says it is, "a sort of Pride & Prejudice with 'Naughty Bits'..." And I agree! Good thing we did watch it on DVD instead of on TV because they cut out lots of it for TV.

It is just not the naughty bits that I like though - the story to me was excellent. It is filled with unforgettable, engaging characters, splendid costumes, humor and drama - incredible touching moments and romance with beautiful, charming actresses. We started watching late at night and thought we might not get through it all since it was late...but we could not stop watching so stayed up to watch all 3 episodes.

The main character is Nan Astley is played by Rachael Stirling who is Diana Riggs (The Avengers) daughter. And during it I thought she look a little familiar but could not place why and gave up trying to figure it out as the story just engaged me so much. Some reviews I read said that the characters were too pretty - especially the lead - and I get why they said that but I also think - it worked out fine and it was an enjoyable film because Nan's story made me want to know me want to know more...she was appealing to me.

So I recommend this movie...it is one I watched 3 times before sending it back and I am still raving about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...