Monday, November 06, 2006

Elections Tomorrow...so a political post

Getting lots of repeat political calls? Check this link out, and this one and this one. We haven't actually had these but I think Master's parents did as they were talking about all the calls they have been getting lately and it is turning them off where they are not even sure they are going to vote.

Again a GREAT SOURCE for political links and thoughts...twistedchick

So as I mentioned in my last post Master read the Analysis of the 2006 Ballot Proposals - the Blue Book of the Elections. I was confused on a few things that were coming up to vote on.

Domestic Partnerships
The mail ads I have getting for domestic partnership make it really confusing for me. The ads come for a group I tend to usually agree with but the ads kept saying "It's not marriage." And that bothered me. I understand why they were putting it that way. So that maybe those that don't want those of the same sex to get married will at least give them domestic partnership. But just like New Jersey - it isn't marriage. And it bothers me that people won't let those that want to get married - get married. So Master read me the actual referendum and then the pros and cons they print. And of course the cons...and well the pros also did a little too because of just how they worded things. One of the cons that annoyed me......

"Domestic partnerships diminish the significance of marriage for society by reducing marriage to a list of benefits and responsibilities. The benefits given to married couples are intended to support child reading by one man and one woman. The state has an interest in restricting recognition and legal protection to these married couples to provide stability for the individuals, their families and the broader community."

All in all I am not happy that they aren't allowing marriage. And this just seems like it is better then nothing and maybe will make it easier in the future. And so I am of course voting yes on it!

Which brings me to the next one...

Marriage
Another thing up is an amendment that proposes adding a new section about marriage. Basically defining marriage as one man one woman. So you know I was all growly about that one.

And of course one their pro arguments...(rolling eyes and sighing)

"The public has an interest in preserving the commonly accepted definition of marriage. Marriage as an institution has historically consisted of one man and one woman and as such provides the optimal environment for creating, nurturing and protecting children and preserving families."

Grrrrr!

Of course voting no on that one!

Marijuana
Another thing we are voting on here in Colorado is the legalization of the possession of marijuana up to one once for adults 21 years of age or older. Now don't everyone fall of their chair but I have NEVER smoked pot. I had a boyfriend that I have talked about before that did drugs. Not just pot but heavier stuff like cocaine. He turned blue on me a few times. And even though while dating him I saw the effects of pot and knew they were less then when he drank alcohol I still clumped it into the drugs are bad. Seeing him turn blue. Seeing him...get mouth to mouth....seeing him....the way he would get...turned me off of drugs.

So I know you are all thinking wow then she is going to vote no for this one. But nope. As I said I did see him and how he was when he just did pot. And that verse when he drank alcohol or did other illegal drugs were night and day. Pot made him mellow. He still could touch his finger to his nose. He could walk a straight line. But I could tell he was high at the same time.

Also I have seen the effects of pot in someone who has mental illness' - and the prescribed drugs were horrible for her. She suffered and I hated to watch her in such pain. Such pain...horrible pain...made my heart break for her as I didn't know how to help. She has stopped the prescribed drugs and now she does pot at times and I honestly can say I feel it helps her keep more even then any of the prescription drugs did. I know she feels it helps and I can see the difference from a year ago and feel it helps her. Right now Colorado does allow medical marijuana so she might fall under that if she lived in Colorado. But I do know getting that kind of prescription for it is hard.

So I had made up my mind before reading the book that I was saying yes this Amendment.

Then Master reads me the actual amendment. And I still will vote yes but this part bothered me...

It is talking about what the amendment will include...

"It also would include transferring up to one ounce of marijuana to another individual 15 years of age or older as long is there no compensation, although possession of those under 21 would still remain illegal."

Okay why was that added in? I don't get it. I don't get why it is legal to transfer it to someone of 15 but it is illegal for them to possess it. How do they make the distinction between transferring and possession? Anyway it bothers me that it can be "transferred" to someone 15 to 21.


Okay so tomorrow we vote. I am hoping and praying things get better. I have literally been scared and so sad where this country has been heading since Bush has come into office. And I cry and lay at wake at night worrying. And so as I said...hoping and praying.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...