Monday, October 24, 2005

People Watching....People's Stories

I love to people watch...more so I love to try to figure out their story...what is happening in that moment.

Some examples...of recent but I could tell many like this as I do this SO MUCH!

The Restaurant

Shortly after coming home from SR Master and I went to dinner and the there was a man and woman and a little girl sitting in the booth across from us. The man and woman sitting on the same side. The little girl by the way is about 6 or 7 -- is my guess anyway. I overheard little bits and pieces of their questions to each other and it seemed to be first date questions. It seemed very odd to me to bring your child on your first date...second or third yes but first. Anyway, the little girl was not getting attention that she wanted and so she kept trying to interrupt their conversations. I can understand that as they weren't including her. Then the check comes he pays for and the little girl says to the man, "will you please let my Mom and I have a moment to talk alone." And he looked at her and looked at the Mom and then the couple went on with their question basically ignoring the little girls request. Now later I got what she wanted to do...was ask for dessert as she ended up asking after he paid the bill without having to talk to her Mom alone. They ordered ice cream for her and a dessert for themselves and then when that bill came she paid for it.

So after they left I was discussing with Master the whole thing and I did what I normally do...wondering if they were really on a first date. And thought they would not go on a date again as they did not seem to connect. Their conversations seemed very stiff and had those awkward silences. But I wondered and told the story of them.

The Parking Lot

Next Master and I went out for fast food the other night as I had pulled a long tense day of working. Anyway, we parked and ate -- there was a big semi truck ahead of us and SUV type vehicle parked next to it. No one was in either when we first parked there. But soon people came walking from the fast food restaurant to the truck and SUV. It was man, little boy and a woman. The little boy was rushing ahead to the SUV and the woman and man were not touching or holding hands but just talking. The little boy wanted to get up into the cab of the big semi-truck so they all went to the other side and he put the little boy in the truck. I could see their feet from under the truck and see the little boy in the truck. The man did not seem to me to be interacting with the boy like a Dad would so I told Master I wonder what their story is...and proceeded to tell him that I felt the man was maybe a relative but not a close one. It again almost felt from a distance like a first meeting but that wouldn't be true if it were a relative...would it? So we watched and I said he has not even hugged the little boy so it must be someone new to them. Soon after I said that he was holding and hugging the little boy. I still don't think he was Dad to the little boy but he was maybe his uncle.

Next....

WalMart

Last night Master and I were in Walmart doing our shopping and as we were checking out I was noticing the man in the next isle. He was wearing a t-shirt, jeans, and a baseball cap -- all were dirty. Very dirty -- black soot looking almost. His hands, arms and face were covered in it. I then looked at the things he was buying....large stacks of DVD, large quantities of food in big cans and packaging. And then a bunch of new clothes all so neat in how they were folded. So I decided he was out in the oil fields or natural gas rigs. That where they work is often long shifts before they get time off - they live at the place while they work. And they are not usually near a store...any store so DVD's large quantities of food - made sense to me.

So on the way home last night I was thinking I wish I could go up to people and ask them if I am guessing their stories right....Master said it would freak people out knowing they are being watched so closely. And I guess that is right as I know if someone said that they were watching me and wondered if A, B and C were right I would be thinking stalker! But it was interesting to think about and wonder if I am getting at all near what is really going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...