Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Subtle? No?

I always have thought our M/s is very subtle around vanilla people. An analogy...you know when you look at someone and something is different...hair, glasses, more make up, just something is different but you can't quite figure out what is different. Well that is how it has been in my mind, with vanilla people around us. That they might think something is different but can't quite figure it out.

But I am now beginning to wonder if I am off on that. I came to that conclusion because of a conversation I had with Master's Dad yesterday.

But first I want to kind of think back on other times...to a few times I know that it was not subtle.

I helped Master out at work. I was alone with one of his male co-workers. He was talking about the TV shows he watched. He mentioned football and the things he was talking about I knew (but I don't watch football). I have just picked up on it listening to it while Master watches it. Anyway, his co-worker was like, "wow you watch football with him." And I told him I just think I picked up on it while he watched. He said, "Well that is way more then my girlfriend does." During the conversation I had with him on various subjects....he said I wish my girlfriend did that probably about 6 to 8 times. All the things he was commenting on were vanilla things like watching TV with him, making dinner, and packing his stuff for their work trip. But yet his co-worker kept commenting on them.

Last spring, I went to the mall with Master's Mom and Dad while we were visiting them and He was working. His Mom and I went into a store and I told her how much I liked this one top. And she told me I should get it. I said, "No I need to ask Michael first because I don't think He will like it." It just came out of my mouth. And she said, "well if you like it that is all that matters." I changed the subject and moved us on to the next store quickly.

Our everyday protocols to me I feel people don't really notice. Such as I ask Master to go to the bathroom wherever we are at...it is just an eye contact thing now. But if I can't get his eye contact I just lean over and whisper. I also don't eat until Master gives me permission and that is just a nod of the head when we are with vanilla people.

But maybe I am wrong that people don't notice those things. Maybe they do spot them and know each thing that is different....

Again the reason I question this is a conversation I had with Master's Dad yesterday.

We were talking on the phone. I asked them if they would pick something up for me there. Since they are coming over for Thanksgiving, it would be just in time to give as a present for Master for His birthday. I knew where we saw it there and such.

While discussing all the details, Master's Dad says to me, "Well I am sure it is hard for you to find over there since he does not let you out of his sight."

The comment kind of surprised me as I didn't realize that maybe his parents notice a lot more.

So maybe we are not being that subtle. Maybe they do see we are different. Or maybe they don't think we are different...that we are just being us. I hope that is the case.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...