Sunday, July 02, 2006

Watching TV....

Okay so I did a poll over on Livejournal about TV. Before I became Master's literally the only TV I watched was Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Then I moved in with Master and for the longest time I couldn't figure out how to turn on his tv. So, I only watched TV when he came home. I then figured it out and I would pretty much leave it on all day just to have noise....with an occasional stop to see what was going on. HGTV was my favorite when I first moved here. Anything decorating was it. I used to love Trading Spaces and even got Master hooked on it there for a while. But then I moved to the Food Network. And now when the TV is on during the day it just sits on the food network all day.

After reading the poll, there was one show I was totally amazed that no one watched except Master and I.

Long Way Round

It is an adventure documentary with Ewan McGregor and his best friend that was aired on Bravo. They motorcycled around the world. It is him, his friend and a camera guy on motorcycles in areas of the world that are truly amazing to see. They have team they meet up with on borders to swap out tapes, help get through all the border mess but for the mainstay of the trip it is just these 3 guys. Wow the adventure, the scenery, what they are going through having to endure places that don't have roads and they have to get through on their motorcycles. The people....though are my favorite part. The people they met and stayed with along the way...beautiful. Just so great. So everyone please netflix it! It is really worth it! (By the way it doesn't have close captioning - which really annoys me.)

La Femme Nikita - I know this was the old one of the bunch but it is still a favorite of mine. 1. Peta Wilson is hot. I admit it...big crush on her. Add Nikta with Michael and well isn't that a nice hot 3-some fantasy! I loved all the different looks she had. I loved the action of it. I would love to own it on DVD but it is one of those sets that is really more expensive. So, for now I will be netflixing it. Actually season 1's first disc is next on my list.

Alias - I am going to Alias next because I realized the other day when doing the poll and thinking about La Femme Nikita that I am sure it is one reason I like Alias. She is a spy with lots of different looks. And not that I think Jennifer Garner is hot like Peta Wilson - she is cute. And some of the looks she does are HOT. I really didn't intend to like Alias. It started showing on TNT a while back during their old Angel spot and why TNT did this I don't know but they started in the middle of season 4. So I would watch here and there and not like it all that much. But then season 1 came on and I started watching and soon it was on our DVR daily. Then TNT cancelled it from that time slot. That annoyed me. Got me all hooked - all the way to season 3 and then drop it. So, I netflixed Alias and enjoyed them all! I would like that set on DVD at some point too.

The West Wing - well I love it! I am sad to see it go. Their writing was so good. Just each episode there is something that left me going wow or crying or just feeling anger or pride...just these intense feelings. Master and I just started watching them on DVD and really are enjoying them.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, and Firefly - Well it is created by Joss Whedon who I had never heard of until Buffy. I saw the movie and couldn't stand it so when I heard there was a series coming out I really was like no way am I watching that. So the first season I didn't watch. And then the 2nd season came about and I caught a few episodes and well...wow! The writing is amazing. The lines that come out and how they come out just are amazing. So I became a die hard Buffy fan. Angel then split off and I watched the first season and loved Doyle. I mean who didn't. And was pissed Joss killed him off. Joss is a sadist! And about that time life got very busy where I couldn't even keep up with Buffy as much as I wanted too so I stopped watching Angel. I though have watched all of the Angel's via TNT. There were lots of things with Angel that didn't to me fit Joss's style as much as Buffy and Firefly. But I still enjoyed it even if it is not a favorite. Firefly aired during Buffy's last season and Buffy's at that time was the only tv I watched. So, I didn't catch Firefly when it was on TV. I had read some things about it and thought okay this doesn't exactly sound like Joss. And wasn't sure I would like it. But truth be told - whispering this very low - Firefly is probably my favorite out of the 3. The writing with Joss just seems to get better. The plots, characters just seemed to pull me even more then Buffy did. Master and I netflixed it right away after we signed up for Netflixs. And we both were sucked in right away. And couldn't understand how it wasn't picked up for another season. So obviously I am a Joss whore because out of everything on the listed in the tv poll Buffy, Firefly and Angel are my favorites.

Trading Spaces - I used to be a very regular viewer really from the start of Trading Spaces before anyone even knew what they were about. Master was even hooked. But when they fired Paige I stopped watching. They fired her because she flashed her thong bottom at a party. During their first 2 seasons Vern was my favorite designer. I always liked his rooms. I love Frank's personality but a lot of the time his rooms are not my style. Genevieve and Laurie - I usually liked their rooms too.

Project Runway - is my very guilty pleasure that starts again very soon! July 12! As I have said before the first season aired and I would roll my eyes thinking who watches such a thing and then they had a marathon of them after the season ended. And well....yeah I got sucked in. And I ended up DVR-ing the marathon and watching them ALL. And so when they announced they got picked up for season 2 I was totally thrilled and have hooked many others onto project runway! yay for enabling! So season 3 starts July 12!

4 comments:

  1. I grieved the ending of West Wing. Nothing has replaced the clever writing and wit displayed on that show.

    - Enigma

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a TV person -- an interesting adjustment, since Master and T basically put the one-eyed monsters on the minute they achieve conciousness each day, and leave them on until they wink out each night (at which point, I find the remotes and smite the beasties)...

    I did, however, learn to love West Wing, once we put closed captioning on the TV's so that I could follow the dialog (they so often mumbled and talked walking away, that it was a struggle for me with my tendency to get an awful lot of conversation from lip reading...). I will miss the integrity and intelligence of the writing.

    swan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Probably my favourite show of all time was SportsNight, which was by the creators of West Wing but came first. The "walk and talk" that they did on West Wing was done on SportsNight as well, although SN was much more a comedy.

    I just have to say quickly... one of my old supervisors did Trading Spaces with her partner years ago. They were insulted on-screen, which was sad. The designer chose to destroy original parts of their 100+ year old house, and used broken glass as a decorative piece even though there was a 3year old and a 1year old in the house. My supervisor had to sue (and won) in order to afford to repair their home, but they came out of it with the greatest behind the scenes stories! (oh and the neighbors' house came out wonderfully and everyone was very happy with it) It's so funny to hear the way things are really done off-camera. And I think Vern can decorate my house anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. nuala, I wasn't really an Ewan fan - I mean yeah I liked him but I wasn't wow'd by him until I saw Long Way Round and then I saw his personality is so wonderful that I feel for him.

    Enigma, swan, Randygirl - so Happy to know there are other West Wing fans out there.

    Randygirl - I know I have seen some episodes of sports night but I have had several people suggest it to me lately so I think it is one I will be adding to my netflix queue. :)

    And WOW on the trading spaces! That is amazing...how stupid on using glass with young children. It sounds like a room done by Hildi. She always seems to destory beautiful things and create such spaces that are not functional or comfortable.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...