I made this a few weekends ago and oh my it was so yummy!
* 3 tablespoons low- or no-trans fat margarine or butter
* 5 tablespoons reduced-calorie or no-sugar added pancake syrup
* 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
* 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons Grand Marnier (or other orange liqueur), divided (or any other liquor that you would like the flavor of)
* At least 8 (1 inch thick) slices of French or sourdough bread (you might need more to cover the bottom of the pan depending on the size of your bread)
* 3 large eggs
* 1/2 cup egg substitute
* 1 1/2 cups fat-free half-and-half
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
fresh strawberries or other berries and a dollop of light whipped cream or Light Cool Whip or maple syrup.
1. Coat a 9x13-inch baking dish with canola cooking spray. Melt margarine or butter in a small nonstick saucepan over medium heat. Mix in reduced-calorie pancake syrup, brown sugar, and 2 tablespoons Grand Marnier, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
2. Remove crusts from bread and arrange slices in the baking dish in a single layer on top of the brown sugar mixture (enough slices to cover the bottom of the pan...I cut the pieces to make it fit all through the pan).
3. In small bowl, whisk together eggs, egg substitute, fat-free half-and-half, vanilla extract, 2 teaspoons Grand Marnier, and salt. Pour mixture evenly over the bread. Cover well and chill at least 8 hours or overnight.
4. Preheat oven to 350Â°F. Remove the dish from the refrigerator and bring to room temperature.
5. Bake uncovered 35 to 40 minutes until puffed and lightly browned. Serve with fresh fruit and a dollop of light whipped cream if desired.