Saturday, March 03, 2007

Book Review: The Crimson Petal and The White

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
5 / 50
(10.0%)


Title: The Crimson Petal and the White
Author: Michel Faber

Rating: 4 stars out of 5

Summary: Basically it is the story of Sugar. Sugar is a 19-year old prostitute that is well read and intelligent. She is waiting for the opportunity to pull herself out of the misery of poverty when William Rackman comes into her life. William Rackman is the heir to a perfumery business who found Sugar when looking for a specific erotic skill. William's enchantment with Sugar leads him to purchase her making her his exclusively. He tries to give her every comfort he can think of and in exchange she's open to his every whim, available any time. This story is mostly about Sugar's life when she becomes William's mistress.

Review: I really enjoyed the story of Sugar. Seeing how her mind would go through things. Seeing how she spent her days from prostitute to where she ends up towards the end of the book. I enjoyed Agnes and Sophie too. But the people they encountered at parties and William's brother and his love interest....and the other prostitutes....I could have been fine without reading about. I felt the story went on a little too long to get to where it got in the end. I also didn't really enjoy the writing style it confused me at times. The author would be talking Sugar and something she is doing and the sentence would end and then the next paragraph would be about William's brother thinking about the woman he loves. And then whatever Sugar was doing that last paragraph often wouldn't be brought up again. And well that is a very unique writing style but I still got frustrated wanting to know what happened next. Sometimes it would be revealed through other parts of the story but at times it wouldn't.

I know lots of people loved this book and although I liked it - it is not a book I would reread. Especially from how this book ended. It did leave me wanting more of Sugar but disappointed me because I wasn't going to get that chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...