Thursday, October 18, 2001

Backwash.com

I just sent an email off to Sir Nick and I am sure he is going LUCKY me NOT lol

I found this site today.....Backwash.com. It looks like a site where you can posts different topics/articles and then comment on them. What I have read so far I really like :) Anyway, the first article I clicked open was this one about people being detained without lawyers, in solitude without blankets or a toothbrush.

The basics of my email to Nick were.....

Basically who decides who is innocent and guilty? why lock up someone before knowing what their involvement or who they talked to or what their connection is to this attack? I mean if someone is guilty I can understand limiting who they talk to. But why not give them a blanket and toothbrush?

To me doing things like that detaining people who are middle eastern....and treating them like nothing does not make senses to me and seems just insane to do that....we are like the terrorist then to me...like Bin Laden. People follow insane people all the time.....please we have that going on in our own country on a daily basis.....the KKK, David Koresh and Waco.....so we know it happens.

Also I read the next article just now that was talking about people of Khorum having their house flattened by the USA's air raids. In the comments another link is listed but when I tried to go to it....it just came up with a blank page :( But the comments on the article were interesting.

Here is one comment that I am cutting and pasting here that I thought was interesting.....

Posted on: October 16, 2001 14:06
The Chiefs of Staff Chairman, General Richard Myers, said the bombers had struck at arms stores hidden in tunnels and caves, and he suggested that exploding munitions might have caused further damage.


"You do not spend that kind of money and dig that far in and store that many weapons and munitions that it would cause that kind of sustained secondary explosions, unless you have very serious purposes for doing it."

Let me pose these 3 questions:
1- If we assume that the pentagon version is the truth (which I do believe for the most part)... Are we justified in hitting an ammo dump, if there is a risk to nearby civilians?


2- If the secondary explosions did cause that many casualties, can you imagine what would happen if the weapons and rockets in that cave/bunker were actually used?

3- Isn't it likely that the Taliban wants little more than to have civilians killed to rally the Afghan people against the US? In onther words, if the Taliban could get Afghans killed and believeably blame the US, do you think that they would do that either by direct action or inaction?

attacking people's residential areas and houses and killing... children, women and elders in a policy of race elimination", it said.

Does anyone believe that the US is really genocidal? Most of us are pretty comfortable with interracial dating, marriage, etc. Would we really tolerate "race elimination"? Does this hint at a credibility gap between the truth of Taliban claims vs. Pentagon claims?

Look, be skeptical. Stay informed. That's great. But be aware that when there are two versions of a story, even when neither is 100% on target, one may be considerably closer to the truth, which may not even be in the middle of the two choices.

I do not talk of this kind of stuff often sooooo you know it kind of got under my skin today....

peace,
danae

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...