Monday, October 31, 2005

Halloween Costumes

A friend over on Live Journal was talking about the old customes that came in a Ben Cooper box (or out of the box) and her favorite halloween costume and so I thought I would recount some of the costumes I wore as a kid.

I had a couple of those that looked just like the kind that came the box...but I can't remember for sure. Most of the time we couldn't afford them. So I dressed up in whatever Mom could find around the house to pull together for a costume --

Hobo Clown - Mom painted my face and she sewed orange yarn into a hat and then sewed patches on an old pair of my jeans and patches on an old plaid suit jacket. Cut cardboard out that fit over my shoes for a big floppy shoe. a big polka-dotted hanky in the suit pocket. I remember being this many years.

Old woman - old stuff from my grandma - dress that Mom pinned and tucked to get it stay on and not be so long that I would trip, a shawl, fake pearls, a hat, and a cane

Cowboy - I had things in my wardrobe that would work...as my Aunt worked a western store....western belt, western shirt, vest with all sorts of beading on it on it in western designs and fringe, jeans, cowboy boots

Indian girl - I am sure now days that would be un-pc to do. I had a dress that was very plain kind of jumper and then a sueded vest that I wore as a cowboy over that added native american designed blanket over that. Mom made into a like a cape and then she took a box and wrapped with fabric and punched holes it to put laces through so I could wear on my back like a pappoose and stuck one of my dolls in it.

Laura Ingalls - I had a costume a neighbor made me to be in a parade for the bicentinal of the town I lived in and so that got used as a halloween costume too. It was much like the dress on the website only in blue. I even had a bonnet.

A 50's Girl - had a skirt that was shaped like a poodle but plaid did that with a little twin sweater set with a scarf around my neck, hair in a pony tail, mary janes and bobby socks

I really didn't have a favorite as a kid as I always felt like it was just thrown together. And a lot of times it was as Mom didn't have time to plan them out for us before hand. And we basically didn't get to request what we wanted. We just were what ever she told us she could pull together.

I guess I always liked the Laura Ingalls costume the most as I loved the books, I watched the show (still do at times and want the dvd set too) but the reason I really liked it the best as it was made. It wasn't handy me downs or clothes out of my closet made into a costumes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...