Tuesday, May 07, 2002

Mean Reds

From Breakfast at Tiffany's.....

Listen...you know those days when you get the mean reds?" --Holly.
"The mean reds? You mean like the blues?" --Fred (Paul).
"No...the blues are because you're getting fat or because it's been raining too long. You're just sad, that's all. The mean reds are horrible. Suddenly you're afraid and you don't know what you're afraid of. Do you ever get that feeling?" --Holly.
"Sure." --Fred (Paul).
"When I get it the only thing that does any good is to jump into a cab and go to Tiffany's. Calms me down right away." --Holly.

I am wishing I could go to Tiffany's right now.....

Last night I could not sleep. I wanted to write an email to Nick discussing some things that I could not get out on the phone with him earlier in the day. But even the words for the email did not form.

So because I could not sleep I was flipping through channels and came upon a favorite of mine on AMC.....Breakfast at Tiffany’s. It had already started but I watched it anyway. There is a part that I can't find the exact quote for it right now.....and I don't feel like pulling out my video and finding it either right now. Anyway, Paul is in his apartment telling his wealthy mistress that he is breaking it off with her. And she says something like she must have money so that she can take care of you. And he says something like no, funny thing is she needs someone to take care of her and it feels good to take care of her. I am in a day right now today where I wish I had someone to take care of me. And I don't mean financially - neither did Paul when he said that about Holly. I mean emotionally.

Here is another quote from the movie....that I found....that I thought was interesting.....

Paul Varjak: You know what's wrong with you, Miss Whoever-you-are? You're chicken, you've got no guts. You're afraid to stick out your chin and say, "Okay, life's a fact, people do fall in love, people do belong to each other, because that's the only chance anybody's got for real happiness." You call yourself a free spirit, a "wild thing," and you're terrified somebody's gonna stick you in a cage. Well baby, you're already in that cage. You built it yourself. And it's not bounded in the west by Tulip, Texas, or in the east by Somali-land. It's wherever you go. Because no matter where you run, you just end up running into yourself.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...