Sunday, December 03, 2006

the magical little things

This entry is prompted by the question the "Sunny or snowy: Which makes for the better holiday season, and why?" I will be answering the question in a round about fashion through stories and memories of my childhood that could really take up several pages as I have many good Christmas memories.

I was born in North Dakota. When I tell people that, most say, "Oh I have been there. I went to Mount Rushmore...the Black Hills...the Badlands" and so on...never actually naming a place in North Dakota. I believe a lot of people lump North and South into one place or forget that there is even a North Dakota. But I was born in North Dakota and lived there until I was 10 years old. And I still have family that lives there.

When I tell them that the places they listed are South Dakota they usually then get the light bulb moment of 4th grade geography lessons coming back and give me a look as if they had just been smacked with a cold wind and ask me if I liked living there. And my answer to them is a resounding happy YES! As a child it was so much fun and that main reason: SNOW. There was so much to do because of the snow in winter - ice skating, snowmobile riding, cross country skiing, sledding, hockey, making snow forts, snow angels, snowballs! And drinking lots of hot chocolate in that mix too!

My parents were involved in lots of organizations in our small small town. And so they had lots of parties and functions to go and many involved the kids coming too. They would hold parties at the local ice skating rink in the winter. It would close down for the evening to be available only to those in organization. We would skate, have good food, hot cocoa mixed with lots of fun and friendship. A family friend of ours had a big cabin on the lake. They had an annual holiday party there. Some of the men would go out ice fishing on the frozen over lake. Their cabin had a big hill next to it that would was perfect for sledding which occupied all the children. There would be a dozen snowmobiles there, cross country skis, snowshoes and everything else would ever need for winter time fun. There was roaring fire in the cabin so you could warm up and dry off before going to the next activity. There was so much laughter and fun. I always looked forward to those parties. More winter fun was had in my neighborhood though too as our block had a lot of kids on it. We were always building snow forts and having snowball fights. I don't have a memories with snow that doesn't bring me warm happy feelings.

The holidays in North Dakota always involved snow. I don't recall ever going without a White Christmas when I lived there. My Mom loves Christmas - she decorates, bakes, shares stories and it is just a very special time of love and family. And I know she got that from her Mom. When I was little, we would spend Christmas Eve at my Mom's parents. They lived on a modest but wonderful farm. We celebrated Christmas on Christmas Eve. My Grandparents farmhouse didn't have fireplace and I remember at a very young age worried that Santa wouldn't have a way into the house. Christmas Eve at my Grandparents involved a big homemade dinner with food from taken from our heritage, church after dinner - all dressed up in our Christmas best, then home to read the Christmas Bible story of Jesus' birth, sing some Christmas Carols, open presents and then have snacks and goodies.

My Grandparents attended a small country church that looked like something from a Christmas greeting card with the snow all around it, lights shining through the stain glass windows. Inside the church, it was also picture perfect poinsettias spread through out the church, as well as candles, and then Christmas trees decorated in angel ornaments and white lace garland. The service we would light candles and sing lots of Christmas carols. After the children were given a big bag of sugary hard candies...the old fashioned ribbon candy in bright Christmas colors. Making us all even more hyper then just being excited waiting for Santa's arrival.

My Mom's family is good size that we would take more then one car to church. And so Grandpa would often sneak out early, but as child I NEVER picked up on that. See as a little girl, I would come home to reindeer hoof prints and Santa boot prints in the yard. And more Santa snow boot prints in the house. Cookies that had been set out for Santa would be gone and carrots left for Dasher and Dancer and the rest of the reindeer were half eaten in the yard. And sure enough when I went running into the house there would be presents from Santa under the tree.

It is a wonderful Christmas memory....a favorite memory of mine. And I say mine as my sisters didn't really get to experience it like I did because my Grandfather died at a young age. So I cherish those memories as I am lucky to have known him and lucky to have such a good memory of my Santa.

It's memories like these that set the tone for all of my Christmases. Even though one might forget about those "little things" like Santa's boot prints or the half-eaten carrots in the yard - I'll never forget them. It's these important things, the fact that my Grandfather left church a little early to give his granddaughter something something special and magical.

Magic.

That's what the season is about. Taking those precious moments to express your love and friendship to someone you care about. Whether it's finding that very special gift, or making a handmade card, the phone call in the middle of the day or the email that just says simply "I love you." It's my way to share how much I love those that I'm surrounded by.

So Christmas time is that special time of year when you just remind them of how wonderful they really are and how they have a special place in my heart that makes me feel the magic of love.

4 comments:

  1. Hello danae,
    Your memories sound absolutely wonderful! The stuff of Norman Rockwell, sorta. How very precious they must be to you. You are fortunate indeed to have had that kind of childhood, and I suspect you also are aware of it; how so many wished they had that kind of family, that type of community.
    The season does inspire looking back on years gone, family gatherings, love and closeness. Sharing and giving.
    I've been reading your journal for some little while now and I just wanted to tell you how much I not only have enjoyed your sharing to the unknown public your most personal and private feelings, but your writing style is so ... honest and articulate.
    Many times reading your entries, I can envision your experience, easily, because of the way you write.
    Your journal was the first journal I've ever read, and it's been a unique experience reading thru the years, your "trials and tribulations", your path, your growth.
    From the start of your journal, you've come such a long ways, and you seem like you are at the pinacle of your dreams for happiness and contentment.
    This entry seems to stand out to me.
    It's wonderful to read/feel the joy and serenity you have.
    Thanx for sharing so much of yourself with total strangers!
    mel

    ReplyDelete
  2. God, you just made me cry. That's so sweet. That's the kind of magic I strive to give my son, I hope he has memories even half as nice as those. Have a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mel...thank you for your thoughtful, kind words. I lack the words to respond...properly but please please know I appreciate them very much!

    Maya, I am sure you do give your son that type of magic! I hope you have a wonderful Holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your gift, danae. As we head to North Dakota for Christmas again this year, we always look forward to the time spent with our parents/grandparents and extended family. My children act like they are going to DisneyWorld. I guess North Dakota and Christmases in North Dakota will be our little secret! ;)

    My husband and I loved growing up there and although we have moved to another state, we are North Dakotans, always.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...